About Us > Blog

  • What to Do in Case of an Accident in KANSAS CITY

    Monday 13 February 2017

    Screeching tires, crunching metal – it's an accident! If you've ever been in a car accident in KANSAS CITY, even a minor one, you know how upsetting it can be. It's hard to think straight and know what to do.

    Let's review what KANSAS CITY drivers should do in case of an accident:

    When an accident occurs, you should always stop. Leaving the scene of an accident in KANSAS CITY is considered a crime - even if it's not your fault. And hit and run penalties are fairly severe, possibly resulting in steep fines, loss of your MO driver's license or even jail time.

    Your jurisdiction may require that you try to help someone who is injured by calling for help or performing first aid if you are able. Warn other motorists by putting out flares, using your flashers or lifting your hood. Call KANSAS CITY emergency services as soon as possible. Tell the operator if medical or fire help is needed.

    You should always file a police report. It's tempting to skip this if everything seems to be ok. But without a police report, the other guy can say whatever he wants about the accident later, and you won't have an objective report to help defend yourself. Discuss the accident only with the police. Emotions are strong after an accident and we naturally want to talk about it – don't. Never admit fault or guilt to anyone including the KANSAS CITY police officer. Sometimes we may feel at fault, but in the eyes of the law, the other guy may be responsible.

    Truthfully give the officer the facts: such as, "I was going 30 miles an hour," or, "I was going 55 kilometers per hour," not, "I wasn't speeding." Remember, anything you say to the officer or anyone else can be used against you. Also get the officer's name and ID number and ask where you can get a copy of the accident report.

    Get the facts on the driver and owner of the other vehicle:

    • Name
    • Address
    • Phone number
    • Date of birth
    • Driver's license number and expiration
    • Insurance information

    Also take down a description of the other vehicle, license plate and vehicle identification number (VIN). Most MO auto insurance companies don't record license plate numbers, so the VIN is the best way to track a vehicle in MO.

    Ask witnesses, including passengers, to wait for the police. If they can't wait, ask for contact information and request that they write a brief description of what they saw. If someone refuses to leave their name, write down their license plate number so the police can track them down later if necessary. Always call your insurance agent or your insurance company. Call or see a physician if you think you may have been injured. For vehicle repairs, call The Muffler Doctor at 816-444-7100.

    Contact The Muffler Doctor to learn more about what to do in case of an auto accident.
    You can find us at:

    7915 TROOST AVE
    KANSAS CITY, MO 64131

If You Are Using A Screen Reader And Are Having Problems Using This Website, please call The Muffler Doctor (816) 444-7100 For Assistance.